5 Day Course
'Britains most Iconic sea stack'
The Old Man Of Hoy is a must for every adventure climber. It is the largest sea stack in the UK and remotest. 5 pitch's will get you to the top, each pitch comes with its own challenge and the view from the summit is breathtaking. Our guided trip will see us stay on Orkney main Island for 5 days to optimise the weather window to climb this impressive stack. We will however go to other areas to climb whilst on the Island and train you up prior to ascent. The islands surrounding us have loads of amazing sea cliffs and crags to keep us busy whilst we wait for an opportunity to climb the stack. The route we will take is the 'Original Route' HVS 5b, a Classic Rock route and all round epic line.
- All climbing equipment
- A weeks guiding costs
Whats not included:
- Food and crag refreshments
- Ferry crossings and transport to the islands
Who's this for?
Some outdoor climbing experience will be necessary for this ascent, ideally you should be at least seconding around S - HS routes.
- Day 1 - Training - We will meet on day one at Sheila's Cafe in Tankerness a perfect little seaside cafe to meet and have a chat about the week ahead. We will have a discussion about the week ahead and plan when we will attempt the Stack. Then we will head off for a climb on another sea cliff close to us to train and check things before we attempt the Stack.
- Day 2-4 - Stack attempt days! - We will ideally get to climb the stack on one of these days, in the meantime whilst we wait for the best window there are loads of great places to visit and or head off to climb if we are itching for some action.
- Day 5- Say our goodbyes after a succesful weeks climbing!
We understand this is a very tricky time for everyone! If for any reason you can't make a course with us because of COVID then don't panic. We will guarantee you space on any future course! We have said to everyone we will honour any bookings made, which have been affected by the pandemic into the foreseeable future with no expiry date.
The main route up The Old Man Of Hoy goes at around HVS 5b. Therefore you should be comfortable seconding around this grade outdoors and be climbing at a suitable level (6a) indoors.
Instructors and insurance
All our staff are qualified and assessed by the Mountain Training Association and have years of coaching and instructing experience and all participants are covered for all activities via our public liability insurance.
Gift cards / Course bundles
Our Gift Vouchers make perfect presents to celebrate a birthday, Christmas and any other special occasion!
We also offer course bundles which allows you to Gift card more than one course to your loved one.Buy Now